"This review is written about a month after we ordered a 6m electric half cassette awning .
The website suggests that awnings can be lifted into place from two ladders. it says the longer ones may require the use of scaffold towers. A 6m awning is so heavy that the delivery driver and I could barely move it into our yard. Ours required two scaffold towers, a chain hoist and a 7m access platform to install. It is inconceivable that it could be safely installed from ladders.
The awning came with four brackets. Because it was so heavy, we decided to buy four more. The ones I ordered were stated on the website to be suitable for a 6m half cassette, and the brackets pictured looked like the originals. They arrived, but I didn’t unwrap them until the day we were going to do the installation, which was the Saturday before the May Bank Holiday. When I opened the package, I found four brackets of a different design which were far too small to take the mounting bar of the awning. I rang Primrose, who said that the ones I actually needed weren’t listed in the website, but could be obtained on request although not until the following Wednesday. This would have meant extending the hire period on the access equipment, so figuring that as they were supplementary to the four original brackets which should have been sufficient by themselves, I adapted them.
The sleeve anchors provided with the awning are useless. The anchors on two of the brackets would not grip, so I had to resort to resin bonded fixings. The supplementary brackets came with projecting bolt shield anchors which are far better.
The bolt holes on the brackets are round, so have to be dead in line and are totally unforgiving of minor deviations from the horizontal, such as might arise from the drill bit wandering slightly. If the holes were oval, it would allow for some minor adjustment.
Having lifted the awning into the brackets, we found that the retaining bolt in one of the brackets would not would locate. This turned out to be because our house wall is rendered and roughcast, so not completely even. We thought we could solve this by putting some packing behind the bracket which was in a slight depression, but this did not work because the bolt provided with the sleeve anchor was then too short to engage.
Finally we had the awning working. It is OK, but the rollers on the frame over which the fabric runs don’t work properly. The fabric snags slightly, which causes the roller to jump and make a banging noise when the awning is opening and closing.
One day a breeze began to develop so we went to close the awning. As we did so we noticed that ALL the sleeve anchors had failed - they were all pulling out of the wall to some extent. Fortunately the resin fixings and the shield anchors which came with the extra brackets were all OK, so the awning stayed put. The sleeve anchors have now all been replaced with resin fixings.
We bought the sun, rain and wind sensor. We have so far been completely unable to calibrate this so that it works as intended. The sun setting seems to be either off (it doesn’t open at all, even in the full midday sun) or on (it opens at dawn). The rain sensor doesn’t seem to do anything. The wind sensor is OK if you blow it, but doesn’t turn freely enough to be sensitive to the real wind. Maybe we will be able to sort this out eventually."
Bewertet Donnerstag, 12. Juni 2014